Since it’s past the initial fall – here is a little fall outfit inspiration!
Jacket/Vest (Vintage) | (Similar Here) / Top: Audrey Hepburn Shirt / Pants: Boyfriend Slim Jeans / Taupe Oxfords (c/o White Mountain) /Bag: Vintage Gucci Bag | (Similar Here)| Bracelets: Old Navy, Juicy Couture / Watch : Gucci (Similar) / Necklace : Triangles (c/o Favery) / Broach : Vintage / Hat: Wilson’s Leather
Hello all, I’m glad to be back, I want to say thanks again for all of your critiques, and welcome to my newly revamped blog. As you can see I have made a few changes, I hope you like what you see. (New lens, and a whole new site will be rolling out soon.) Now that fall is in full swing, I have become obsessed with long vintage vests, I’ve seen them all over Milan Fashion Week, I simply had to do a DIY of my own. (Hint; Take an old coat and seam rip the arms off) I want to thank the lovely people of White Mountain Shoes for sending me a pair of oxfords, I am really obsessing over them for fall, the color is perfect for this weather. I hope you all have a wonderful start to your week and thank you for your love and support!
I hate to break my tradition and goal here. I do feel like its time for a break. I need to break and re-group my process and thoughts regarding this blog. I need a week to decide where my focus is going to be . Since this whole wake up call i have had with this blog. I dont know where its headed. Let me re group, focus and ill brb.
In lieu of yesterdays post, I just want to give a heart-felt thank you. Thank you for your kind comments. Thank you for the messages, Twitter messages, Instagram messages, and Facebook posts. I appreciate it. It was really very kind of you. It is great to know that people out there still are compassionate. I am going to keep shooting my looks. My new lens came in today. I am so excited to try it out! I hope that you won’t give up on reading my blog.
Thank you once again.
I however, would like to ask to help me improve this blog. I have created a short survey here for you to take. It is to help me get a clear understanding and perspective. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3P6YG8K
*Please note from here on out all comments that are made are moderated.
This is probably the hardest entry I have had to write. Recently it has come to my attention there are websites out there that have a particular way of bashing people and fashion bloggers. I was on about five pages of this website trying to fathom who the hell would talk about me since, I am not that important ( neither are the people writing it)
I was up very late last night because I couldn’t sleep. I had been in the midst of a very dark time in my life. I wont discuss that in this entry. I feel that I need to address a few things within my own blog from that blog. So here it goes:
Here are a few samples of the things that have been personally said about me.
“Was trying to figure out who styled in the heartland reminded me of….. Mimi from the Drew Carey show. She also looks like she needs a really good wash. Or maybe it’s the clothes that need a good wash. Not sure” Her instagram is even worse.
“I appreciate Miss FUPA (Fat Upper Pussy) giving no fucks but unfortunately that isn’t enough to get me to read. This girl looks dirty (as in, unclean) and is she ESL? Her writing is jacked up. If she’s not ESL then she’s just stupid, and I can’t jive with that. To instead of too? C’mon now.
“I want her to GOMI (Get Off My Internet) Fast. FAST”!
“What the hell is going on with her hair?! It looks like a toddler hairstyle in a beauty pageant, what a freakin mess!!!! Whoever this girl is, she needs to watch some tutorials on youtube and learn how to curl her hair. YUCK!!!”
“Pants can be really hard to fit when you have a fupa (actually given the prevalence of camel toe in fashion blogging, they’re just hard to fit in general) but skirts and dresses are great for disguising and preventing moose knuckle. I want to be friends with this girl so I can show her my secrets”
“I kinda feel sorry for this woman. I thought she was a teenager, but she says she’s 27. I guess I must be bored because I read her rambling about how she lost her temp to hire job, how she has to go on food stamps but then goes on to explain why/how she has a LV bag. The poor writing was painful to read through”
“Urrgh I hate these so-close-but-ruined-absolutely outfits. Minus the random gold heart and plus come concealer and this outfit would be fine”
“I just want take “Styled in the Heartland” under my wing. I read her blog post about being discouraged and it just pulled my heartstrings. Part of me feels she’s trying hard to do something she enjoys and she doesn’t seem to have much in her life that gives her joy. She doesn’t seem to have any positive role models or encourage influences in her life (or doesn’t acknowledge them). It wouldn’t surprise me to find out she has some LD or other special needs. (For the record here: I am not now, nor have I EVER been special needs person. I worked with special needs people a year ago. I am very far from them. I am a normal FUNCTIONING adult. That isn’t a funny comment AT all. It’s downright false. The other part of me wants to tell her to suck it up buttercup; if people tell you your writing is crap, maybe at least check your spelling, capitalize “I” when used as first person singular, and try reading your post aloud before posting. How did she graduate from college? She seems caught in what seems to be every millennial dream of making it big/getting rich on a blog. It’s okay to do this as a hobby, kiddo, but don’t base your life goals and self esteem on it. Set some goals, value yourself more (wash hair), ) improve your skills, etc. The world just doesn’t beat down doors like it does in the movies. Sorry for the rant. I just can’t read her without feeling sadz”.
This post in a lot of ways not only let me open up in my situations. I am firmly working towards goals that I have for this blog. Including better images, better writing and being more elegant in my styling. I struggled not to lash out on a lot of these that were being said. It simply broke my heart to see these people tear away at very successful others who are the nicest people in this industry.
My focus is to educate you how you can make those 1990’s outfits work for you. I really totally believe that when I see Salvation Army I see not only people’s rejects but also a wild possibility of items that you can make-work for you. This fashion industry is tough to be in it really is. I have learned that if you let the negativity affect the person you are its going to really tear you down. I felt that this post was a necessary post to clear up the things that were being said. I never thought in two months of time I would be growing as much as I am. I see this is a wonderful opportunity to meet others and talk to them about their Ideas of fashion. Granted I am not in rewards style, or on Glam Media. I am at least trying to improve in every aspect I can. I always don’t know trends, or what is cool these days but I know what I like and I try to share that with you the reader. I don’t read magazines however I feel, as I should to gain more knowledge on trends to help me more commercial. These are all aspects that I am willing to improve upon!
I hope that in this entry, you can understand that I look at negativity in two ways. One way was to gain a better understanding about how I need to improve on a lot of things. I didn’t start blogging seriously since May of 2014. The hurt and the negativity comments, only fuel my fire to do better. I have heard a lot of what people are saying all my life. Although I don’t want to say what happened after I read the comments, but to quote something has been said to me since that time of me reading the negative and very hateful comments. From a friend “You can not simply just change who you are or your style. If people are taking the time out to comment they must be genuinely interested. These people are telling you are a special needs person, they don’t know the core of your soul. Remember that Christ has formed you in the way that He wanted for His purposes”.
I have to personally remember that I am using what I can bring to the table. Thinking out side of the box for fashion, rather you like it or not. I am who I am, although the negativity does hurt and the comments are very raw and emotional. I focus towards the future. I focus from here on out , doing better. .
I will remain to only get better from here on out. Know that, Jesus loves you and sees you for who you are and what you will become.
Kanye West Glow Tour Shirt (old)
Pink Skirt (old) (Similar Here)
Coach High Tops (similar Here)
Neon Bracelets (thrifted) (Similar Here)
Elephant Necklace (similar here)
Canada bag (thrifted)
Slick Headphones (Similar Here)
Owl Iphone Case (Bethany Mota X AeroPostale-Similar Cases Here)
Happy friday. I am so excited its Finally Friday! I already feel fall coming in full swing (and so is my homework) which is what I will be doing all of Saturday. (Hi Library)! While I’m currently drooling over all the #NYFW action. I have to keep it real. Next week i am so excited i finally got a new photo lens to shoot with. Expect way better pictures to come Your way. I hope you have a very happy and safe weekend (please drink a pumpkin latte for me)!
It’s here #HAPPYNWFW. This is the time the world is watching. The world is watching all the trends and how can we relate them into your everyday wardrobe. I am over the moon to be watching on youtube. Thank God for fashion week recaps right? Some day i will be there. mark my words.. but seriously i have included a few videos of favorite past shows.
the BLONDS i am MORBIDLY obsessed with the blonds. They are like the BEES KNEES. I just love the futurism here. Every collection i watch i am so drawn in more and more.
i still cant be over Alexander Wang S/S 2013. I keep watching this over and over. I am so obsessed with Alexander Wang.
Last but not least, Proenza Schouler. I cant get over the f/w 2013-2014. I simply just love everything about PS.
I hope you enjoyed me showing a few of my favorite designers. I am making it a promise to myself some day i will get to fashion week. Remember if you are following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Pinterest hashtag #NYFW and tell me what trends you are looking for? xx
African Print Pants (Similar Here)
Simply Vera Wang Cape (Similar Here)
Vintage Nylon Prada (Similar Here)
HAPPY #NYFW! Its one of my favorite times of year Fall! Not only has fall begun to start, its also NYFW! The biggest little stent of heaven! I am dreaming and wishing someday i could go to NYFW! I am in love with fashion. It has always been my dream to be at the Mercedes tents or at milk studios watching shows! I am going to watch as many shows as i can (here from Iowa). I imagined this is what i would wear on my first day of #NYFW. I have been seeing a lot of african print trends. I pulled out these disco pants! I hope you enjoy xx HAPPY #NYFW!
Hi Happy Tuesday. Today i thought I’d take a different spin on the blog. I am going to talk a little more a bout college. As you know i am attending college. I am only 27 (I know what you are thinking you dont look 27) I decided to go back to school last semester. My first stent in college resulted in my achieving my bachelors degree in fine arts. It didn’t pan out in terms of a career. I decided to studying something else. I entered school i realized there were a lot of older students. I have come up with a few tips that will help you if you are a young college student or an older student like myself.
1. NEVER show up in your pajamas (like the images above). It looks unprofessional. I know a lot of college students roll out and come in pajamas. Treat school as it if it were a a job. Show up look professional. (put the bunny slippers away!)
2. Stay on top of things. Get a planner. I know for me between my job , my schooling and my blog. I rely on my planner. I don’t use my iPhone or my Ipad as a planner. I want assignments and deadlines hand written. Its in bound hard copy. (My school offered a free planner but i of course i jazzed it up)
3. Keep a journal. I keep a journal of my goals. I know this sounds really silly . I take 5 minutes out of my day to list goals. I also take 5 minutes to write things I’m thankful for. It is to remind me that i am fortunate to go to school (even though ill be paying for it forever). Some people are not fortunate to go to school nor afford it.
4. When shopping. Take advantage of student discounts! (the assumption is that most college kids are poor. Granted im not rich I’m “surviving”. I am 100% thankful for all i have.) There are tons of discounts even as an adult student i can take advantage of. To name a few. The salvation army offers 1/2 off on a purchase with showing a college id. I received 6 months free of Amazon Prime for 6 months by showing my student email. Some movie theaters-and other places by showing a college I.D. will get you discounts.
5. Take care of yourself! With all the things going on in my crazy life right now i always don’t get the amount of exercise and sleep i need. Try to get some exercise, if that means going for a walk, or getting to a gym (I know some gyms offer student discounts). Get your SLEEP! It’s important to keep your mind sharp and fresh. (As an older student you ‘d think I would have figured this out by now, well nope! Ha, I’m still learning)
6. So your trying to do the just thing and work right? I am adult i put myself through school- you need to make extra money? Here are a few ideas to make extra money: If your like me, you have obsession for clothes, shoes, and many many accessories. You feel bogged down by how much stuff you have. I would take it local consignment stores and sell it. Here are a few options: Plato’s Closet , eBay, Walk In My Closet, PoshMark, Thredup, and many more. If your like me and have a hard time parting with your more expensive items (aka your Louis Vuitton, Gucci bags and that Marc Jacobs bag you are still paying for. I suggest Shop EDrop off. Not only is it Midwestern (and in my special favorite city Chicago) it is a gem full of many goodies and so easy to get your stuff sold)
7. Manage your stress! (I know it kind of goes with the few up above). How i manage my stress? Well you are looking at it. My blog is my stress outlet. *I am de stressing as i write. It is a good place for me to use my creative outlet. i suggest find an activity that helps you manage all the things going on in your life. I enjoy writing , col aging, walking, i love to sleep, sometimes ill do puzzles or play games. Just take the time to scream ME. (hey it helps)
8. Get good study habits. In my prior education i didn’t take a lot of tests, or do things like that. Now that I am studying again. I take tests, i find it easy to go home and get distracted. I take myself to the library at my school or my local library and i study. Take advantage of academic resources! I am a BIG believer in this. I had a teacher in grade school who taught me “No question is a stupid question”. I have borderline ADD. I cant focus a lot and i am easily distracted. I have trouble with my writing as well. I take full advantage of the learning center on my campus.
9. Don’t ever let anyone tell you you are too old to be attending school. Believe me, as an adult student, i never let people tell me im TOO old to learn something. In my first class of the semester everyone was older than me in the class! My dad always taught me, you are “Never to old to learn”. Don’t let anyone influence in what you choose to study. I was fortunate with my parents, they are awesome. They let me choose to study what i wanted to. This time around i had lots of people tell me not to study marketing its not a concrete position. Neither is web design some people would say. I am a firm believer in “How will you know if you dont try?” I let six years of being so down on my self and education i never thought id be here again. I full love marketing. I love the social interaction and the networking. I have to believe in myself and my skills.
10. Finally and lastly, keep yourself in check. Remind yourself what the end goal is. i think its really hard for me, to remind myself what the end goal is. I have had trouble visualizing my career after school because i have been in a non existent career. My professors say I’m proactive and enthusiastic. I tell myself geez Alex, you are doing this for YOU! I have read a lot of good college tips from a lot of people. Granted i go to a local college (AHEM the largest in Des Moines got #DMACC!) Ill probably never get to experience a sorority or your college parties (my idea of a party is a thrift store, and a good cheap meal hey!) Remember this is (well i tell myself a ticket out of Iowa) but i Know to help me make a career i want that 9-5 job so bad i can taste it i don’t have to get paid a lot but i i just want that normality). To quote a rather now famous movie line from “Jack” with Robin Williams ” Please, don’t worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you’re ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer skies, when the stars are strung across the velvety night, and a shooting star streaks through the blackness turning night into day. Make a wish. Think of me. Make your life spectacular. I know I did.” – Jack (Robin Williams) With that.
I hope these tips help you if you are new to college or returning like myself. Enjoy college that’s what its there for. Yet i am learning all day , everyday. Have a happy Tuesday.
Happy Labor Day! I am totally late with getting on the bandwagon with all the crazy end of summer sales. While your at the bbq in your shorts, pull out your smart phone and START SHOPPING!
Aldo– take 10 off on orders of $100 or more.
Aeropostale– take 70% Sitewide
American Apparel– take 30 % of site wide (code BIGDEAL)
Anthropologie– 20% off select styles
ASOS- take 20% off all sale items
Barneys Warehouse – Up to 30% off clearance items
Bauble Bar- 50% off or more (select markdowns) – 20% off full price stuff.
Bergdorf Goodman – Up to 40% off select RTW items
BCBGeneration- 40% sitewide
Bloomingdales (Hello Designer Bags?) – take up to 60% off of brand new markdowns. (this weekend ONLY)
Club Monaco – extra 40% off sale items extra 50% off clearance items (Code HEYFALL)
Diane Von Furstenburg (DVF.com) – take 30% of new fall styles (this weekend only)
Express– Everything is 40% off
Forever 21– Buy one get one free on all sale items
Gap- Up to 40% off online and in stores.
H&M – Shop the Labor Day sale with prices starting at just 4.95 (this weekend only)
Kiarna Ziabete – Up to 75% of sale items
Last call Neiman Marcus- take an extra 25% of sitewide this weekend (only)
Loft– 50% off new fall styles 50% off all full priced items.
Jcrew– 40% on everything that’s final sale. Free shipping throughout labor day
Jcrew Factory Outlet– 40% to 60% off all items
Madwell- Take 20% off select dress and boots plus an extra 30% of sale (code YESYES) until Sept 2
Nasty Gal– 30%, 40% ,50 % on all items! #GIRLBOSS
Nordstrom- 40% of all sale
Old Navy– Up to 40% online and in stores.
The Outnet – up to 50% of M by Missoni Merchandise
Scoop NYC- extra 40% of sale items
Shopbop – up to 70% of select items
Topshop – 30% of select items
Tory Burch – up to 30% off site wide (with code LABORDAY14)
Trina Turk– extra 20% off sale items (till Sept 2)
Sephora – 75 % off summer items
Toofaced- up to 70% off toofaced cosmetics
Happy Labor Day Shopping ,- Overspend for me xx