Hi Happy Tuesday. Today i thought I’d take a different spin on the blog. I am going to talk a little more a bout college. As you know i am attending college. I am only 27 (I know what you are thinking you dont look 27) I decided to go back to school last semester. My first stent in college resulted in my achieving my bachelors degree in fine arts. It didn’t pan out in terms of a career. I decided to studying something else. I entered school i realized there were a lot of older students. I have come up with a few tips that will help you if you are a young college student or an older student like myself.
1. NEVER show up in your pajamas (like the images above). It looks unprofessional. I know a lot of college students roll out and come in pajamas. Treat school as it if it were a a job. Show up look professional. (put the bunny slippers away!)
2. Stay on top of things. Get a planner. I know for me between my job , my schooling and my blog. I rely on my planner. I don’t use my iPhone or my Ipad as a planner. I want assignments and deadlines hand written. Its in bound hard copy. (My school offered a free planner but i of course i jazzed it up)
3. Keep a journal. I keep a journal of my goals. I know this sounds really silly . I take 5 minutes out of my day to list goals. I also take 5 minutes to write things I’m thankful for. It is to remind me that i am fortunate to go to school (even though ill be paying for it forever). Some people are not fortunate to go to school nor afford it.
4. When shopping. Take advantage of student discounts! (the assumption is that most college kids are poor. Granted im not rich I’m “surviving”. I am 100% thankful for all i have.) There are tons of discounts even as an adult student i can take advantage of. To name a few. The salvation army offers 1/2 off on a purchase with showing a college id. I received 6 months free of Amazon Prime for 6 months by showing my student email. Some movie theaters-and other places by showing a college I.D. will get you discounts.
5. Take care of yourself! With all the things going on in my crazy life right now i always don’t get the amount of exercise and sleep i need. Try to get some exercise, if that means going for a walk, or getting to a gym (I know some gyms offer student discounts). Get your SLEEP! It’s important to keep your mind sharp and fresh. (As an older student you ‘d think I would have figured this out by now, well nope! Ha, I’m still learning)
6. So your trying to do the just thing and work right? I am adult i put myself through school- you need to make extra money? Here are a few ideas to make extra money: If your like me, you have obsession for clothes, shoes, and many many accessories. You feel bogged down by how much stuff you have. I would take it local consignment stores and sell it. Here are a few options: Plato’s Closet , eBay, Walk In My Closet, PoshMark, Thredup, and many more. If your like me and have a hard time parting with your more expensive items (aka your Louis Vuitton, Gucci bags and that Marc Jacobs bag you are still paying for. I suggest Shop EDrop off. Not only is it Midwestern (and in my special favorite city Chicago) it is a gem full of many goodies and so easy to get your stuff sold)
7. Manage your stress! (I know it kind of goes with the few up above). How i manage my stress? Well you are looking at it. My blog is my stress outlet. *I am de stressing as i write. It is a good place for me to use my creative outlet. i suggest find an activity that helps you manage all the things going on in your life. I enjoy writing , col aging, walking, i love to sleep, sometimes ill do puzzles or play games. Just take the time to scream ME. (hey it helps)
8. Get good study habits. In my prior education i didn’t take a lot of tests, or do things like that. Now that I am studying again. I take tests, i find it easy to go home and get distracted. I take myself to the library at my school or my local library and i study. Take advantage of academic resources! I am a BIG believer in this. I had a teacher in grade school who taught me “No question is a stupid question”. I have borderline ADD. I cant focus a lot and i am easily distracted. I have trouble with my writing as well. I take full advantage of the learning center on my campus.
9. Don’t ever let anyone tell you you are too old to be attending school. Believe me, as an adult student, i never let people tell me im TOO old to learn something. In my first class of the semester everyone was older than me in the class! My dad always taught me, you are “Never to old to learn”. Don’t let anyone influence in what you choose to study. I was fortunate with my parents, they are awesome. They let me choose to study what i wanted to. This time around i had lots of people tell me not to study marketing its not a concrete position. Neither is web design some people would say. I am a firm believer in “How will you know if you dont try?” I let six years of being so down on my self and education i never thought id be here again. I full love marketing. I love the social interaction and the networking. I have to believe in myself and my skills.
10. Finally and lastly, keep yourself in check. Remind yourself what the end goal is. i think its really hard for me, to remind myself what the end goal is. I have had trouble visualizing my career after school because i have been in a non existent career. My professors say I’m proactive and enthusiastic. I tell myself geez Alex, you are doing this for YOU! I have read a lot of good college tips from a lot of people. Granted i go to a local college (AHEM the largest in Des Moines got #DMACC!) Ill probably never get to experience a sorority or your college parties (my idea of a party is a thrift store, and a good cheap meal hey!) Remember this is (well i tell myself a ticket out of Iowa) but i Know to help me make a career i want that 9-5 job so bad i can taste it i don’t have to get paid a lot but i i just want that normality). To quote a rather now famous movie line from “Jack” with Robin Williams ” Please, don’t worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you’re ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer skies, when the stars are strung across the velvety night, and a shooting star streaks through the blackness turning night into day. Make a wish. Think of me. Make your life spectacular. I know I did.” – Jack (Robin Williams) With that.
I hope these tips help you if you are new to college or returning like myself. Enjoy college that’s what its there for. Yet i am learning all day , everyday. Have a happy Tuesday.